Readers here will be familiar with regular commenter Jake, who is from Washington DC, USA. I’m so pleased to pass the reigns of Royal Hats over to him today! Welcome, Jake!
I can’t say for certain when my fascination with hats, especially royal hats, began, but it was either late high school or early university for me (circa 2006). Since then, my obsession and knowledge have steadily increased, and I’m glad to be a part of a community which holds the same appreciation I do for finer millinery and royalty. There used to be an old royal hats blog (where I remember JamesB frequently commenting) that eventually went defunct as the blogger pursued other interests; I unfortunately was not as lucky at JamesB to encounter HatQueen and Royal Hats so early (I’ve only been reading for 3 years), but I’m working on making up for lost time.
In no particular order, here are my top 10 choices for hats that need to make a comeback for HM Queen Elizabeth II.
1. This citrus green hat by Philip Somerville from 14 October 2004.
2. The much loved pink swirl hat (I personally prefer it with a pink outfit) from the 26 November 2010 visit to Oman. Hat by Philip Somerville.
3. This hat from Diana’s memorial service (31 August 2007) has always appealed to me for some reason; I think this particular shade of purple is very flattering on HM.
4. The Diamond Jubilee church service pale blue beaded hat from 5 June 2012. Hat by Angela Kelly
5. This black and white hat from 25 April 2015 (and earlier); I especially love the bow detailing on this hat. Hat by Philip Somerville.
6. This delightful coral and lavender hat from 17 Oct. 2007 (which also was subject to many memes haha).
7. The lime and gold hat she wore to meet Martin McGuinness; during my time in university, I spent a semester abroad in Derry, Northern Ireland (McGuinness’s hometown), and this hat has special meaning for me because I know how symbolically important their meeting was to many in Northern Ireland.
8. The blue lace hat from St. Paul’s 300th anniversary service on 21 June 2011. The details on this hat were exquisite and quite different from most of HM’s hats. Hat by Philip Somerville
9. This unusual color combo and shape for her visit to the UN and NYC on 6 July 2010; despite all the quirky features that haven’t worked so well on many other hats, I thought this one was a winner (and notice she is wearing a shorter jacket with this ensemble). Hat by Angela Kelly.
10. Finally, this last one is extremely unlikely and I know popular opinion is against me, but I personally loved the highlighter green and fuchsia Rachel Trevor Morgan hat from 2016’s Trooping the Colour.